chriswiegman.com | Contact Me
Senior Software Engineer
WP Engine - Sep 2018 - Present
- Building tools to help local developers succeed on the WP Engine platform and with WordPress in general.
- Form and execute a strategy to better engage WordPress developers using GoLang, Docker, PHP, TypeScript, React and other technologies.
- Helped build WP Engine’s relationship with the WordPress developer community through speaking, writing and related advocacy.
Senior Web Developer
University of Florida - Sep 2016 - Sep 2018
- Maintained and improved the organization’s many websites across both WordPress and Drupal platforms.
- Helped scale team workflow with tools such as CI and other automated tools to improve security and performance of all web properties.
- Built various tools in Laravel and various other technologies for use throughout the organization.
- Built and maintained a Vagrant configuration using puppet to replicate the specific nuances and configuration of our production servers.
Senior Web Engineer
10up - Feb 2015 - Sep 2016
- Contributed in the building of enterprise level WordPress solutions such as ElasticPress for internal and client use.
- Provided support and guidance for clients such as Brightcove and others.
- Developed project estimates and other documentation for use in planning, execution and further development of client projects.
- Promoted 10up and gave back to the WordPress community by speaking throughout the US on WordPress and related topics.
iThemes.com - Dec 2013 - Feb 2015
- Converted Better WP Security to iThemes Security and launched a companion pro version.
- Guided the development of iThemes Security support and related areas.
Springbox - Apr 2013 - Nov 2013
- Developed websites and solutions for national brands such as Nestle, The Air Force Academy and others.
- Furthered the use of WordPress internally with training and other education while utilizing the platform in numerous sites and projects.
- Developed internal infrastructure including development and production servers, deployment systems and supporting systems.
- Led the developer intern program helping college students gain valuable agency experience.
Adjunct Faculty - Computer Science
St. Edward’s University - Aug 2012 - Dec 2013
- Taught an Introduction to Computer Science Course as well as an advanced course on computer security.
- As an adjunct I was awarded my own course in computer security during my first semester teaching.
St. Edward’s University - Jan 2012 - Apr 2013
- Developed university websites in Drupal, PHP and other technologies.
- Worked with a close, professional team to present solutions to further university goals.
- Participated in projects ranging from marketing to identity management.
Developer, Blogger, Owner
Bit51 - May 2003 - Nov 2013
- Developed the Better WP Security plugin which, at the time of its sale, had over 1 million downloads and was making approximately $20,000/yr in donations.
- Created the Better Google Tasks Chrome Extension which received accolades from users including Matt Cutts.
- Developed other WordPress plugins and Chrome Extensions.
- Built sites for small clients in WordPress and Drupal.
- Helped give back to the community with blogging and speaking.
LAN Systems Specialist
Southern Illinois University - Aug 1998 - Jan 2012
- Took SIU Aviation from a mostly paper based organization to one utilizing over 400 computers and servers supporting faculty, staff and students.
- Developed the departmental web infrastructure in Drupal and WordPress which grew to contain over 10,000 pages.
- Hired, trained and supervised a team of up to 5, consisting of student workers and graduate assistants utilized in helping efforts in marketing and user support.
- Guided the department in all areas of technology as a member of the department’s advisory panel.
- Gave back to the rest of the university community in time and expertise in matters related to website development and digital marketing.
Pacific Wings Airlines - Nov 2005 - Nov 2006
- Transported passengers and cargo throughout the Hawaiian islands as a captain in charge of my aircraft, crew and fare.
- Trained new captains and first officers on procedures relating to the Cessna 208 aircraft utilized by the company.
Northern Illinois Flight Center - Aug 2004 - Oct 2005
- Transported owners and clients on Citation and Falcon business jets.
- Taught individuals how to fly in company aircraft.
- Helped new aircraft owners transition to their planes for the company’s Cessna dealership.
Southern Illinois University - Sep 2001 - May 2003
- Taught students of the university’s aviation program from private pilot to certified flight instructor.
M.S. Computer Science
B.S. Aviation Management